Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Developing Vow


Beings are numberless.  I vow to save them.
Desires are inexhaustable.  I vow to end them
Dharma gates are boundless.  I vow to enter them
The Buddha Way is unsurpassable.  I vow to embody it.

  Over the years, I have chanted different versions of this, but it remains the most constant invocation that I use in my practice.  However, the way I hold it has changed.

It used to feel like a 'damn it all' determination from some over the top WWII movie...

Officer:  Who could we possible send?
Sgt:  I'll do it
Officer:  But it's a suicide mission!  You'll never make it!
Sgt:  Why should that stop me?  [jumps out airplane door]

yeah, it had that kind of edge to it.

These days, my understanding of this vow has more to do with the kind of mind it can cultivate.  If you set the intention to really fulfill that vow, then you need a develop patience and kindness with others, but more importantly you need those things for yourself.

While the piss and vinegar determination of that heroic paratrooper seems to give good momentum, it will eventually crash and burn, taking you with it.  The cliche that life is a marathon, not a 100 yard dash is useful here.

You can reach out to save another;  any Bodhisattva should.  However, if the other is not in the right place, they may not want to be saved, or even be aware that anything is wrong.  Our ability to receive help from others is the same way.

We can encounter a teaching, but if the conditions are not correct, we may not be in place to understand and receive it.

As a high school teacher, my job is to impart knowledge, and then send those kids along, while receiving a new group in need of the same help.  What actually is useful for them might not show up until much later in life, if at all.  As well, it is unlikely that the impact I have will be the result of some life changing lesson that I alone imparted to the student.  More likely, what I bring to the table is part of a broad fabric that (hopefully) nourishes the student and gives them a chance to grow.  In my life, the fact that I will not see the extent of this impact is a given.  All I can do is set the intention, take the vow and try to help.


No comments:

Post a Comment